May was kind of a chaotic month for me. Between finishing up my semester and then graduating college, I had a lot going on. I still managed to get quite a few books read and still kept up with posting.
Books I Read
- Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
- Who She Was by Stormy Smith
- Rough Patch by Nicole Markotic
- The Truth About Happily Ever After by Karole Cozzo
- The Enemy Within by Scott Burn
- The Cilantro in Apple Pie by Kimberley Nadine Knights
Considering how chaotic May was at times, I’m pretty impressed that I still finished 6 books. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the best time reading a lot of these. The only one I really, really liked was The Truth About Happily Ever After. Flame in the Mist was good as well, but the rest of them were just “meh” for me and Rough Patch was downright disappointing. Hopefully, I’ll enjoy my June reads more. Check out my reviews if you want to hear more about my thoughts.
Things I Posted
As usual, I posted a lot in May. I cut back a little bit on posts, but still managed to get a lot of posts up. I realized that I posted barely any discussions/original pieces this month though which is kind of disappointing for me, so I’m going to make an effort this month to get back to posting a lot of discussions and such because those are always fun (both to read and write).
- I talked about some things that make me uninterested in reading a book.
- I participated in some Top Ten Tuesday posts, including my favorite 2017 covers so far, things I want to see more of in books, books set in summer that I liked or want to read, and the book releases I’m most looking forward to for the rest of the year.
- I participated in the 19th Bout of Books and shared my TBR/daily progress as well as a wrap-up.
- I shared a post about what my dream reading space would look like.
- I did the I Dare You tag.
- I shared my second Around the Blogosphere post.
- I talked about some of the books releasing in June that I’m most looking forward to.
I set a goal to read 50 books this year and at the end of May I had finished 25. That puts me 5 books ahead of schedule. 25/50
Beat the Backlist Challenge
2 of the books I read this month, The Enemy Within and The Cilantro in Apple Pie, were released before 2017. That puts me at 12 backlist books read so far this year. 12/20
Read More Classics, Nonfiction, and Longer Books
Again, I have nothing to add here. Shocking. 1/15
Read Diverse 2017 Challenge
2 books can be added here: Flame in the Mist and Rough Patch. I’m kind of torn about including Flame in the Mist because I’ve heard there are some problems with the accuracy of the representation there, but since Ahdieh is a woman of color, I’m including it anyway. Rough Patch was honestly a terrible book, but it still featured a bisexual main character. 13/25