I have to admit that for awhile during April, I felt like my blogging and reading were really suffering because I was so stressed out with schoolwork that I didn’t feel like I was getting anything else done. Looking back on the month in order to put this wrap-up together has made me realize that I actually still managed to get quite a bit of reading and blogging done though which makes me happy. Let’s see what April was like for me.
Books I Read
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (5/5)
- Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis (2/5)
- The Horned Scarab by Matthew Marchitto (3.5/5)
- Girl Out of Water by Laura Silverman (4.5/5)
- The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord (5/5)
This was a really good reading month for me. Well, aside from Given to the Sea which I really disliked. But THUG, Girl Out of Water, and The Names They Gave Us were all absolutely phenomenal and have made it onto my list of favorite reads this year. AND I just found out that Emery Lord will be making a tour stop very close to me on the 18th which I will definitely be attending and I can’t wait! I know I usually pick a monthly favorite, but I seriously can’t choose between the three.
Things I Posted
April was another busy posting month for me which is pretty impressive considering it was an incredibly busy month for me school-wise. Here’s everything (besides the reviews I’ve already linked to) that I posted last month:
- I did a few tags/awards including The Liebster award, the Blogger Aesthetic tag, the Ruler of Books tag, and the Sunshine Blogger award.
- I did a couple of Teaser Tuesday posts, sharing teasers from Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis, The Horned Scarab by Matthew Marchitto, and The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord.
- I participated in a few Top 5 Wednesdays including top 5 SFF books on my TBR and LGBTQIAP books I’ve read.
- I shared my March book haul.
- I posted my recap of the book event with Lexa Hillyer, Adam Silvera, and Rhoda Belleza that I attended.
- I shared a TTT list of things that make me want to read a book.
- I started a new feature, Around the Blogosphere, where I will be sharing some of my favorite posts from fellow bloggers. I think this is going to be a monthly feature that I’ll post around the middle of each month.
- I wrote a post about why I support the use of trigger warnings in books.
- And, of course, I shared some of the May releases I’m looking forward to.
I set a goal to read 50 books this year and at the end of April I had finished 19. That puts me 2 books ahead of schedule. 19/50
Beat the Backlist Challenge
Only of the books I read this month was published before 2017, The Horned Scarab by Matthew Marchitto. I don’t think I ever actually submitted this for the points for the Hogwarts House challenge, but I can’t remember. So oh well. 😛 This brings me up to 10 backlist books read so far this year. 10/20
Read More Classics, Nonfiction, and Longer Books
Surprising no one, I didn’t read any more books for this goal. This is the one goal of mine that is not going very well, haha. 1/15
Read Diverse 2017 Challenge
3 out of the 5 books that I read this month could count towards this. THUG is obviously a book by a Black woman. Girl Out of Water is by a disabled woman and features a disabled character. I’m going to count The Names They Gave Us for this because there’s a character who’s a trans girl who is relatively important. Because I’m doing so well with this challenge, I don’t really feel like I’m cheating by including it, haha. My original goal for this was to read 12 diverse books this year and since I’ve already read 11, I’m raising my goal to 25 which should be about half the books I read this year. 11/25