Yet another month has come and gone. How are we already in the fourth month of 2017?! I swear New Year’s was just a few weeks ago.
March was a pretty good month for me regarding reading and blogging. It was a bit hectic for me otherwise, but I apparently still managed to pull it off. I feel like I deserve some sort of award for that, honestly. April and May are bound to be pretty hectic as well since it’s the end of the semester and then I’m graduating college, but I’m hoping I’ll still be able to keep up with reading/blogging. But if you don’t see me around, you’ll know why!
Onto my wrap-up of March…
Books I Read
- Beauty Queens by Libba Bray (3/5)
- Proof of Lies by Diana Rodriguez Wallach (4/5)
- Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde (4.5/5)
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (4/5)
- Nexis by A.L. Davroe (3/5)
I managed to read 5 books this month. I ALMOST made it to 6 but ended up finishing The Hate U Give on April 1st, so that’ll be included in my April list. Oh well. 😛 I had quite a few blog tour reviews this month: Proof of Lies, Queens of Geek, and Nexis were all part of blog tours. Aside from Beauty Queens, I really enjoyed all the books I read this month so that’s a big plus. My favorite would definitely be Queens of Geek which was truly an amazing read that I highly recommend! I’ve posted reviews of all of these books, so just click on the links above if you want to learn more about them.
Things I Posted
- At the beginning of the month, I participated in Book Madness and talked about why I love Katniss Everdeen. Katniss ended up making it into round 2, so thanks to everyone who voted for her!
- I posted about both March and April releases I was/am looking forward to (in two separate posts). Lots of exciting releases!
- I reviewed Nemesis by Brendan Reichs which I read back in January. This is an amazing book that I really recommend reading!
- I participated in Teaser Tuesday for the first time in awhile and shared a teaser from Proof of Lies.
- I mentioned some things that are likely going to make me uninterested in your blog.
- I shared my February book haul which was surprisingly small (at least for physical books…).
- I, of course, did some tags including the Who Am I tag, the 2016/2017 tag, and the blogger recognition award.
- I participated in Top Ten Tuesday a few times and talked about books on my spring TBR, unputdownable books, and authors I’d like to meet.
- I mentioned 6 book-to-movie adaptations that are releasing this year that I want to see.
- I discussed the fake death trope and why I hate it.
- I did Top Five Wednesday and talked about some books I think might become future classics.
Clearly, I posted a lot this month, as usual. I seriously am envious of those of you who responded to my post about the fake death trope and said that you haven’t come across it very often. It seems like it’s everywhere, how have you been so lucky?!
I set a goal to read 50 books this year and I’ve now completed 14 books. That puts me 2 books ahead of schedule. 14/50
Beat the Backlist Challenge
3 of the 5 books I read this month were published prior to 2017 (Nexis, Between the World and Me, and Beauty Queens). That brings me up to 9 books for the Beat the Backlist challenge. This is going surprisingly very well. 9/20
Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge
I really haven’t been putting a lot of attention towards this challenge (in fact, doing my wrap-ups is what keeps reminding me of it), but I’ve still managed to cross a few off my list. Added this month: Proof of Lies as a book set within 100 miles of my location (I go to school in Boston and that’s where the book is set for part of the novel) and Queens of Geek as a YA written by someone who identifies as LGBTQ+ (Jen Wilde is genderfluid and bi). I could probably count Queens of Geek for an LGBTQ+ romance novel too, but I’m not going to. 4/25
Read More Classics, Nonfiction, and Longer Books
I can finally add one here! I read Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates which helps me in my goal to read 5 nonfiction books this year (even though it’s rather short…). I still haven’t read any classics or long books, though. 1/15
Read Diverse 2017 Challenge
4 out of the 5 books that I read this month could count towards this. Beauty Queens has a trans character as well as some girls who are into girls. Diana Rodriguez Wallach, who wrote Proof of Lies, is a Latina author. Queens of Geek, as I already mentioned, is written by a genderfluid bisexual author. Jen Wilde is also autistic AND the characters are diverse as well with bisexuality, autism, and anxiety all being represented in POV characters and one of the POV characters is Chinese-Australian. And finally, Between the World and Me is written by a Black author. 8/12 (Looks like I may need to increase that goal!)
First thing I want to mention here is that I hit 700 followers this month! Wow! It is still so surreal to me that there are so many people interested in following my blog and reading what I have to say. So thank you! ❤
I’ve also made some decisions to help me with my blog. At some points this month, there were times where blogging was starting to feel like a chore rather than the fun hobby that I want it to be. I think part of this stems from the fact that since last summer, I’ve been trying to post every single day. As much as I love posting, it was starting to feel like too much work. I’ve decided to roll back with my posting just a tiny bit and I won’t be posting on Thursdays anymore. Depending on how that goes for me, I may decide to cut back one of the weekend days too, but I think even just giving myself off that one day a week will be a nice break. It almost doesn’t seem worth mentioning, but I am anyway, haha.
One more thing: I’ve decided to stop doing so many tags. PLEASE still tag me in them because I do enjoy doing a lot of them! But there are some that, quite honestly, I didn’t really want to do, but I posted them anyway because I didn’t want to seem rude by ignoring them. Basically, from now on, I’m only going to be doing tags that I really am interested in doing. But like I said, please still tag me in things if you want to! 🙂