I know I usually complain about the month speeding by, but my god, August dragged on. The last two weeks or so I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump and so the beginning of August seems like it was years ago. I thought I had barely read anything, but it turns out my book count isn’t quite as pathetic as I thought. 😛
Books I Read
I still managed to finish 5 books this month and I started a 6th book, but didn’t finish it in August so it’s being carried over. All the reviews have been posted and I’ll link them here:
- Beyond the Kingdoms by Chris Colfer (4/5 stars)
- Best Left in the Shadows by Mark Gelineau and Joe King (3/5 stars)
- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (4/5 stars)
- The Velvet Hours by Alyson Richman (3.5/5 stars)
- Ash by Malinda Lo (3/5 stars)
The book I started reading is The Forgotten: Aten’s Last Queen by J. Lynn Else which I received a copy of from the author. I started it awhile ago, but it’s 550 pages so it’s taking me awhile to get through. I’m a little over halfway through with it though, so with any luck, I’ll finish it soon.
Other Things I Posted
Okay, this is going to be a pretty long section because I posted quite a bit this past month.
- I did a few Top Ten Tuesday posts: Books I’d Buy if I Had a Gift Card, Favorite 2016 Book Covers, and Books That Have Been on my TBR From Before I Started Blogging
- Do You Buy Multiple Copies of the Same Book?
- ARC August Updates for Weeks 1, 2, 3, and 4 – full wrap-up is below!
- I tagged myself to do the Captain America Book Tag
- When Does a Negative Opinion Cross a Line?
- I also created my first original tag: NetGalley Book Tag
- 3 Cliches/Tropes Everyone Seems To Hate That I Love
- Why Labeling Books “The Next Harry Potter” is Really Annoying
- I posted my Bout of Books Sign-Up and used that to update my daily progress as well
- Why I’m Excited For the Boston Teen Author Festival
- I also did a Bout of Books Challenge: Worst/Least Favorite Book-to-Movie Adaptations
- Top 5 Wednesday: Books I Want to Read Before 2016 Ends
- I discussed Why I’m Tired of the Books vs. Technology Dichotomy
- I talked about a few of the September Releases I’m Excited For
- Bout of Books Wrap-Up which honestly was kind of a failure on my part
I didn’t want to have to write a hundred different wrap-ups, so the wrap-up for ARC August and for the Summer BINGO are going to be put into this post.
This was a month-long challenge hosted by Read.Sleep.Repeat to encourage you to read as many ARCs that you have as possible. I’ve participated in ARC April before which is the same thing just… in April instead of August. ARC August was, unfortunately, a major failure. I got through a whole 2 ARCs: Best Left in the Shadows (which is a novella…) and The Velvet Hours. Honestly, I think a lot of this was because I was trying to get through my library books since I have to return them before I go back to college (I go to school in a different state and don’t come home often enough to be able to take them with me). So I’m going to use that as an excuse. 😉 I think because I didn’t do as well as I was hoping, I’m going to kind of extend this challenge into September on my own and dedicate most of this month to reading ARCs.
This was my first time taking part in bookish BINGO and I loved it! I’ll admit, I didn’t really change my reading patterns at all, so I only ended up with one BINGO. BUT I really liked doing this and I’m definitely going to participate again. Bookish BINGO is hosted by Pretty Deadly Reviews. Bekka puts together a BINGO card and your goal is to try and get as many bingos as possible. This challenge lasted from June-August. Here’s the empty BINGO card:
and here’s my completed card:
I think I did pretty well. I definitely could have gotten a couple more BINGOs if I had paid more attention to what was on the card, rather than reading a book and then seeing if it fit anywhere haha But like I said, I still had so much fun with this and I’m definitely looking forward to participating in more bookish BINGO. 🙂
I don’t really have much else to add, but I couldn’t close out my August wrap-up without mentioning that this happened this month:
I know this may not seem like much, but I seriously am so surprised that so many people are interested in what I have to say haha So thank you, thank you, thank you guys for following me, reading my posts, commenting me, etc. It really makes me so happy! 🙂
Like I mentioned, I will be going back to school in a couple of days.
I THINK that’s everything I wanted to include in this… I didn’t realize how long this wrap-up was going to be. 😛 Anyway, I hope you guys liked seeing what I was up to in August!